[gst-devel] Clock breakage

Julien MOUTTE julien at moutte.net
Tue Jan 27 11:57:13 CET 2004

Hi dudes,

I m in my breakage reporting mood today ...

So.. oss and alsa are working differently for querying. Indeed alsa
stores the transmitted data and convert that to time values for
GST_QUERY_POSITION but oss tries to convert a gst_clock_get_time to the
needed format.

gst_clock_get_time is returning an absolute clock now it seems. I guess
it's like that since Benjamin's changes to clocking. So osssink returns
the current time when querying for position. Sweet ! a new clock has
born : gst-player time slider !

I also tried to fix the Next Next Next Next issue in totem and
gst-player. Weird things.. So pressing next is :

- setting the pipeline to READY
- setting a new location
- and setting the pipeline to PLAYING.

The slider keeps staying in the previous position because it seems that
setting the pipeline to READY is not cleaning the internal time of
elements (i guess that's still the new clocking patches from Benjamin)
so the clock of those elements is in the future and the time is valid
only when the current position reaches the previous slider position..

No need to say that if i press next another time while the element's
time are completely messy my cpu goes 100% and i have a really hard time
to get my machine back to life..

So to resume : The new clocking system has many issues, both for
querying and synchronization.

Solution : either we revert the clocking patches from Benjamin or we fix
the READY issue somehow. We also need to define clearly how alsa and oss
should handle queries because that sounds a bit undefined and chaotic
now.

I would also recommend making a grep -r gst_clock_get_time * over
gst-plugins and check if the elements are using the "new" clock
correctly !

Thanks for your attention.

--
Julien MOUTTE (aka Dolphy)