[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] company gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/gst/

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Jul 2 07:03:02 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 14:27, Andy Wingo wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 11:42 +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > check that pads that get linked belong to the same manager. The old
> > > code allowed linking elements before putting them into bins, so it
> > > worked to link them and then put them in different threads, which
> > > lead to weird behaviour.
> > > Since this effectively disallows linking elements before putting
> > > them in a bin, some applications might not work after this and error
> > > out. If these applications are too critical, we might need to revert
> > > that patch. Please test this before the next release...
> >
> > Hm,
> > while I agree that it's a problem I don't think this is a change we can
> > make in the 0.8 series at all.  It breaks apps that aren't doing
> > anything wrong to make a point to apps that are doing it wrong.
>
> I'd like to echo this. Soundscrape relies on linking elements outside of
> bins. Aside from the fact that it would be difficult to implement it any
> other way, the change breaks apps in a stable series. These checks are
> scheduling checks, and as such should probably be done by the scheduler.
> In any case, please revert :-)

I reverted the patch.  I don't want to spend more than the half hour I
just did just to get the testsuite working again, this should be done by
the commiter.  I'd like to get the buildbot back into shape before I go
home today, and I had planned to work on more productive stuff than
fixing up buildbot.

I have nothing against the patch on a technical level, just on a
maintainer level.

Thomas

ik kon liegen
ik kon jou bedriegen