[gst-devel] thread id in debugging

Martin Soto soto at informatik.uni-kl.de
Thu Jul 8 08:54:13 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 16:37, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> I had to debug some threading issues, and the lack of having something
> in the debug log that could tell me what thread it was from was
> painful.  I put a print of g_thread_self in the debug handler.

Not that I have a solution, but just as I remark, it used to work
before. The old LinuxThreads library would use different process ids
(kernel tasks) for different threads, so you could distinguish between
threads by just looking at the pid. With the new Native Posix Threads
Library (NPTL), all threads in a process share a single pid, so having
the process id in the debugging output is more or less useless. The NPTL
will be automatically used by glibc when running on a kernel providing
the necessary thread services (i.e. a 2.6 kernel).

M. S.
--
Martin Soto <soto at informatik.uni-kl.de>
Universität Kaiserslautern