[gst-devel] Major bug in buffer passing from mpeg2dec ?

Gernot Ziegler gz at lysator.liu.se
Mon Jul 12 10:17:03 CEST 2004

Hej folks !

I think I just discovered a major bug in mpeg2dec:
It never tries to
  buf = gst_pad_alloc_buffer (pad, GST_BUFFER_OFFSET_NONE, newsize);
like e.g. gstvideotestsrc does, but only
allocates its own buffers inasfar I could see in
static GstBuffer *
gst_mpeg2dec_alloc_buffer (GstMpeg2dec * mpeg2dec, const mpeg2_info_t *
info,
    gint64 offset)

   outbuf = gst_buffer_new_and_alloc (size * 2);

That means that xvimagesink's and glimagesink's direct video buffers are
never used ... this must have caused a major slowdown in all MPEG2 video
applications.

I will investigate this more - it would be great if the gstmpeg2dec plugin
maintainer could contact me to work this out :-)

Servus,
  Gernot

--
O  http://www.mpi-sb.mpg.de/~gziegler | http://lysator.liu.se/~gz       E