[gst-devel] preroll (was: Re: [gst-cvs] thomasvs gstreamer: gstreamer/docs/random/ds/)

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Jul 14 03:51:10 CEST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Hm, it's true that it doesn't state this, and I'm not sure it should
> either.  There's no reason why a bin cannot override the vfunction so
> that instead of putting it in itself, it puts it into a second bin that
> is private to the given bin.  Why would you do this ? To make a bin that
> can preroll would be one example; the private bin can be set to playing
> to make sure everything is autoplugged, while the public bin that is put
> in the app pipeline is still in paused.  This is one of the things that
> currently is not done that Jorn complains about.

Speaking of preroll:
Do we have a benchmark or other demonstartion that illustrates the need of
prerolling?

The only justification for preroll I keep hearing is that Jorn had issues
(iirc that was slowly pausing pipelines, which is not even an issue with
preroll, but whatever). And the only hard benchmarking data I have tells
me that mp3 pipelines need 0.02 seconds before they start playback and
vorbis audio 0.07 seconds. (tested with gstreamer/tests/spidey_bench
file.ext) And I don't think those times are an issue. So it sounds a lot
like premature optimization from my point of view.

Benjamin