[gst-devel] preroll (was: Re: [gst-cvs] thomasvs gstreamer: gstreamer/docs/random/ds/)

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Jul 14 07:39:01 CEST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Wasn't it you that said your harddrive takes a few secs to spin up when
> a track starts playing ? So doesn't that mean that in any case, going
> from paused to playing takes that amount of secs ? Am I missing
> something ?

Yeah, you're missing the fact that preroll doesn't solve the spun-down
harddrive case. Preroll only caches the first X bytes of data. If I don't
go to playing but let the harddrive spin down, it'll still take time to
spin up when more data from the file is requested.

> I still see similar issues in rhythmbox as well, and switching between
> paused and playing still isn't as zippy as it ever was in xmms.
>
> I'm not really sure what other methods are currently possible to solve
> this.

Since I have no hard data, I can just restate: I have not ever seen
anything. Care to provide hard facts?

> Anyways, whether or not preroll makes sense is beside the point - the
> architecture should somehow support a concept like it, since obviously
> other frameworks have decided it is a useful concept and not a premature
> optimization.

I was just interested in wether it does make sense. Afaics it still
doesn't, but feel free to implement it nonetheless.

Benjamin