[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] thomasvs gstreamer: gstreamer/docs/random/ds/

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Wed Jul 14 09:40:01 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > Can you understand why gstplay would need to virtualize get_list() and
> > why it would need to differ in GstBin'ness behaviour? It's really all
> > unclear to me.
>
> The preroll case is a good example.

And how does preroll require this? Afaik, preroll is:

before preroll:

source1 ! decoder ! adder ! sink

during preroll:

source1 ! decoder ! .active_pad
                                 adder ! sink
source2 ! decoder ! .preroll_pad

(I'd rather use a private preroll-specific element, but afaik you guys
wanted to use adder for this and IIRC adder can actually do this, so it
doesn't really matter. The point is that adder caches N samples of data,
which is the actual preroll.)

after active_pad receives EOS:

source2 ! decoder ! adder ! sink

So why would this require elements to *not* be in the main bin?

Ronald