[gst-devel] Video editing

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Jul 19 01:40:01 CEST 2004

Hi,

> I would like to create a video editing application, based on a timeline
> using gstreamer. Audio and video samples would be arranged on this
> timeline, similar to the interface in Flash MX.

GStreamer is a good base to work off.  You could also check out gnonlin
(gnonlin.sourceforge.net), which is currently worked on by a group of
French students (I believe in the gnonlin-ng directory).  This extends
GStreamer to make a non-linear editing library.

> I have a basic idea of how to use gstreamer (i ported a few samples to
> c#) but cannot see how the syncronisation of media streams would work. I
> undersand that all buffers in gstreamer are timestamped, so this should
> be possible?

Yes, buffers in GStreamer are supposed to be timestamped when it makes
sense.  Muxers will do the right thing with these timestamps so
editing/transcoding should work correctly.  For recording, some work has
recently been done to get better synchronisation and it seems to work
well for us.  For playback, sinks listen to a common clock so that
buffers with the same timestamps are played at the same time.

> Also, can video be "mixed" in gstreamer? - the swfdec plugin might be
> able to overlay vector graphics on a video stream for example.

Yes - there is a generic videomixer element that we use to overlay png
images, for example.  Some other elements also overlay, like textoverlay
and timeoverlay.  I could be wrong, but I don't think swfdec does - it's
just a decoder for the shockwave format.  Internally it probably has
compositing or overlaying.

Thomas

de laatste tijd
heb ik gedacht