[gst-devel] documentation wiki

Stefan Kost kost at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Mon Jul 19 03:23:04 CEST 2004

Hi all,

YES, thats cool. I would like to see this integrated the main gstreamer website
for several reasons.
1.) use it for the manuags (gstreamer-manual, pwg, faq)
2.) use it for other pages like tasks
3.) add a set of subpages ('gstreamer feature kitchen') where developers can
form discussion subgroups.
This would be very important to me. Therewith people can discuss video related
stuff separatly from sound related stuff and so on. Further this is easier that
using the mailing list as ideas are not splattered over dozen posting. Finally
the media-wiki allows users to register and then watch pages. So one can easily
stay informed.

Zaheer: is there a lot of manual work included in committing the changes back to
cvs and updating the wiki content from cvs? or can it be automated so that one
only needs to review the changes in the wiki before commiting them?

Stefan

Zaheer Abbas Merali wrote:
> I know that I'm not the only one that has moaned about the static nature
> of our docs.  PHP and Mono both have collaborative docs, and both are
> doing well out of it.  So today, I decided to try and do something about
> it and create a wiki.  I have imported most of the Application
> Developers Manual into the wiki, and as a bonus I proof-read and
> corrected the easy "bugs" with the Application Developers Manual.
>
> The wiki is currently at http://zaheer.merali.org/mediawiki/
>
> I offer to maintain changes to our docs (wiki <==> CVS) for the period
> of a month.  After which, we can see if the wiki is worthwile.
>
> I propose not to import API docs in, as they would require too much man
> power to keep in sync.  In my opininion, the way to do collaborative API
> docs is to have like the php guys, generated docs from gtkdoc acting as
> static content templates for a dynamic commenting system.
>
> The documentation is not as good as it should be, and maybe with easier
> editing accessibility, people can contribute docs, code snippets etc.
>
> Take Care
>
> Zaheer

      \|/            Stefan Kost
     <@ @>           private            business