[gst-devel] GStreamer friendly hardware?

Ronald S. Bultje R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl
Thu Jul 22 16:41:21 CEST 2004

Hi Darren,

I don't think there's such a thing as "GStreamer friendly hardware". We
pretty much work with any hardware that Linux runs on, including all
extras and limitations that X and the kernel give you. I can help with
some generic comments, though.

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 22:37, Darren Blaser wrote:
> The video card is the piece that I'm really unsure where to go with...
> Nivida or ATI?

Interestingly, there was a talk from the Transgaming guys at DDC, and
they touched upon this (for obvious reasons); they stated what you've
probably guessed: the binary nvidia drivers are by far the best out
there. They kick everyone's ass. ATI is a good second, but lags
tremendously compared to nvidia, especially performancewise. The free
DRI drivers are pretty much nowhere.

Unless you've got good reason to be against closed-source drivers, I'd
recommend a nvidia card.

> combined TV tuner or use a separate TV tuner card?

Separate usually has better quality, so I'd go for separate. Depends if
you have enough free PCI slots (you probably do).

> get the latest and greatest or save some money and get something a bit
> older that the linux drivers have had a chance to catch up with?

Depends on your budget. ;).

> Finally, I've always bee a CRT man before but I'm considering going flat
> panel... any thoughts pro or con?

That's a personal opinion. Go to a shop and try out both and see which
you prefer. I personally prefer TFTs/LCDs.

HTH,

Ronald