[gst-devel] stride

Bultje, R.S. R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl
Fri Jul 23 06:33:01 CEST 2004

Hi,

From: Thomas Vander Stichele [mailto:thomas at apestaart.org]
> > On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 16:01, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > > So does anyone know what the implied stride is for all colorspaces ? And
> > > if it's ok to fix videoscale ?
> >
> > For each, it's all bytepacked. For RGB, it's always width*bpp/8. For
> > packed YUV, same. For planar YUV, it's ususally width for Y and
> > width/hor_downsample for U/V. Hor_downsample is 1 for YUV422/444/411, 2
> > for YUV420 (e.g. I420), 4 for YUV410, etc.
>
> I assume you also know here what David said - that each of these strides
> are rounded up to the nearest multiple of four ?

Yes, I didn't know that. That's undocumented. ;). Is that a standard? Is it 32-bit specific (i.e. is it nearest-of-8 on 64-bit computers?). How many elements use it?

Problem with this is that since most elements don't use it, most elements are plain broken if we introduce this property. So you'd need to fix all elements (not just videoscale/ffmpegcolorspace) if you want to use this. If you're willing to do this: go for it!

Ronald