[gst-devel] discussion about dparams

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Fri Jul 23 13:56:04 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-07-24 at 02:43, Stefan Kost wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> <snip>
> >
> > In the dparam descriptors I was going to have a flag for logarithmic
> > values. I might change this so that there is a list of possible flags -
> > these could describe what kind of data the param represents. Possible
> > flags could be:
> > - logarithmic
> > - frequency
> > - amplitude
> > - discrete (this may be implicit in the fact that the parameter is an int
> > or an enum)
> note is somewhat special. marking it as a frequency is not enough, as e.g. an
> instruments can have 3 dparams all using frequencies, one is for the note, but
> the other two are used as an LFO. An application would like to find out about this.

I understand. We could define other flags like 'note' and
'low-frequency' to give the app more hints about what to do with the
dparam. We'll just have to document what they mean somewhere.

> Btw.: when rewriting the library can we look for a new namespace. the
> data-protocol already uses "dp_". So we may use "dparam_" or "dynpar_".

Currently the header is dparam/dparams.h and the prefix is gst_dparams_
which doesn't clash with the old library.

--
Steve Baker
steve at stevebaker.org
+64 (0)21 344 066