[gst-devel] multifilesink and proposal to merge it with filesink

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Jul 26 06:36:10 CEST 2004

Hi,

Don't feel offended, please. I'm simply trying to do what's best for
GStreamer. That includes keeping stuff out of gst-plugins if I don't feel
it's suitable to be there yet.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Zaheer Abbas Merali wrote:
[..]
> Again, the GStreamer API specifically shows how new media should be
> dealt with and that is by having a DISCONT event with the newmedia flag
> set.  Any other way is a hack.

No it's not. That's how you *interpreted* the API docs from a sink point
of view. However, those API docs only cover events from a source point of
view. We have simply never thought of how to do it elsewhere. You're
currently assuming that every output file should start when a new input
file starts, which is only true in very specific cases. Mostly, you'll end
up having to insert a WHATEVER event (DISCONT/new-media, EOS, ...)
manually to get the behaviour that your application needs.

Again, please be patient with adding stuff. I know you're not planning to
break ABI, but you != anyone. Stuff in gst-plugins is supposed to be for
anyone. I'm not doing this to annoy you, simply to keep gst-plugins
liveable.

And I'd appreciate comments from other developers as well.

Ronald