[gst-devel] multifilesink and proposal to merge it with filesink

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Wed Jul 28 18:43:04 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 07:29:36PM +0200, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:

> You're exactly saying what I said before: this element will be
> *somewhat* useful, but not *very* useful. Most applications will need
> this private element for it to be *very* useful. And you're also saying
> what I said before and what I feared: this required element to make it
> very useful is pretty application-specific and not very clean (the code
> might be clean; the method, however, is not).

I created a new element in gst-mozilla-plugin called appsrc which
fits this model fairly well -- it does what I need it to do, and
perhaps with some modifications, it could work for other people.
That doesn't make it useful to put in gst-plugins, mainly because
it will either a) continue to do exactly what I need, which isn't
generally useful, or b) gather lots of bloated features to handle
each individual case that app developers might need.

It may be useful to put elements such as these into a project
where the entire purpose is to _not_ be a project, but a storehouse
for random elements that people might borrow from for their own
application.  We could make a half-hearted attempt to keep them
compiling and maybe running (if they have test suites), but
under no circumstances is an app allowed to _depend_ on the package.
Copying only.

(gstappsrc.c is 236 lines, exports a few functions, and I like it
exactly the way it is.  Don't try to convince me to solve the
problem in a more complicated way.)

dave...