[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] thomasvs gst-plugins: gst-plugins/ gst-plugins/ext/lame/ gst-plugins/ext/mad/

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Mon Jun 14 08:27:07 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 16:57, Ronald Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > +	  sync caps.  Make sure mad can only output a list of rates, not
> > +	  a full range.  In the future, have three caps lists for each of the
> > +	  mpeg versions.  Change mpegversion to a double as well.
>
> No!
>
> MPEG-1 has the fancy feature that it defines things as MPEG-2, or even
> 2.5 while they are still MPEG-1.

What the hell does that mean ? :) MPEG-1 is not a thing that can define
something, so please elaborate on who is doing what specifically.

>  It is all MPEG-1.

No, it's not.  MPEG-1 doing 16 khz sample rate is invalid, period.

>  MPEG-2.5 does not
> exist, it's just a marketing name.

I know, it's a Fraunhofer invention, but one that is implemented
everywhere.

>  The real MPEG-2 (the one output by
> faac, not the one output by lame) is AAC, like MPEG-4.

not entirely.  There is "MPEG-2 with AAC extensions", and there is
"proper MPEG-4 which includes the full AAC spectrum".

> And making mpegversion a double is going to break things horribly in other
> places. Please revert that and do as if the names MPEG-2/2.5 don't exist.
> :).

I didn't actually commit that change, I just noted that it should be
done.  Setting caps of mpegversion 1 and sample rate 8000 is just wrong,
period.  If you hardcode mpegversion to 1 everywhere, you might as well
remove mpegversion as a property everywhere, because you're not actually
*doing* anything with it and it's just confusing because it's wrong.

Thomas