[gst-devel] no elements or plugins work

John Russell drjimmy42 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 16 16:10:01 CEST 2004

> I'd like to know exactly what goes wrong there, but
> if you want a quick
> fix, the best is probably to remove your user
> registry, your system
> registry (probably in
> /var/cache/gstreamer-0.8/registry.xml) and run
> gst-register *only as root*.

Thanks for the response.  I tried deleting the system
registry (which was in /var/lib/cache/gstreamer-0.8)
and my user registry.  Then I ran gst-register-0.8 as
root.  That recreated the registry.xml file in
/var/lib/cache/gstreamer-0.8 and it has lots of stuff
in it.  However, the file that was created in
/root/gstreamer-0.8/registry.xml is the same as my
user.  Just this.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<GST-PluginRegistry>
<gst-plugin-paths>
</gst-plugin-paths>
</GST-PluginRegistry>

I then ran gst-register-0.8 as my user, which again
created the registry.xml file with the same contents.
Again, the gst-launch pipelines don't work.

gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location="Harry Connick Jr - 06
Moments Notice.mp3" ! mad ! alsasink

** (process:10717): WARNING **: no element "alsasink"
WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element "mad"
         Trying to run anyway.
RUNNING pipeline ...
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to play.

gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location="Harry Connick Jr - 06
Moments Notice.mp3" ! mad ! osssink

** (process:10723): WARNING **: no element "osssink"
WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element "mad"
         Trying to run anyway.
RUNNING pipeline ...
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to play.

Any other ideas?  Thanks for the help.