[gst-devel] media-info, and old streaminfo tags

Ronald S. Bultje R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl
Sun Mar 7 01:45:01 CET 2004

Hi,

On Sun, 2004-03-07 at 01:31, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > Resource acquisition definately shouldn't move. I don't like a new
> > state. What should be so special about it?
> It is clear that there should be a way to "release" devices without
  ^^^^^^^^^^^
> setting the element to NULL.  This is not only for audio sinks.

No, it is not.

[snip]

You mention "setting an element to NULL", but you don't actually mean
that. You mean, an element not losing its internal state set. However,
that's already lost when going to READY. States are documented in the
PWG, and that reflects what I perceived as the conclusion from the last
time we discussed this. Devices are always opened before the pipeline
"stream" concept is set up. So the state won't work. In the end, it'd
only obfuscate the issue. It's not the right solution.

About states: we don't need to discuss it, we don't need to document it.
I've been working a lot on that lately (PWG), and I'm still intending to
work more on it (chapter 4). Let's fix our apps.

[/snip]

Back to the argument now. I know why you want the device released. I
told you I'm fine with using a property for that for now. What more do
you want? Do I need to beg you to please accept my apologies that I
didn't see this issue before? _This_ _is_ _a_ _hack_. If you don't see
that, then you're missing the point.

I said that during 0.9.x, I'll think about a nice solution. I'm sure
others will do that, too. That's it. The argument is over, we have a
conclusion and we're all fine with it. Let's fix our apps now.

Ronald