[gst-devel] blockers for 0.8.0

Ronald S. Bultje R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl
Sun Mar 7 01:45:02 CET 2004

hi,

Thomas wants to release 0.8.0 monday, which is great. I'd like to see
some issues fixed before we do that.

1) libgstplay uses switch. Switch doesn't work, see #136197; it pretty
much kills libgstplay here locally. I'm wondering on why it works for
some others, it's as if I have an ancient version of switch or so. I'm
really clueless here, the code that I see in gstswitch.c here *can not*
work. Totem cannot ever have worked for anyone with that code. It's
weird. If the code I see locally is the actual code, then we have an
definate blocker here.

2) playback speed issues. I see some movies that play too slow right
from the beginning. Others play too slow after a few seconds. According
to Benjamin, the issue is a possible deadlock as in that the audioqueue
is empty and the videoqueue is full whereas the audioclock waits for
more data. I also sometimes see the osssink getting links with
samplerate=1kHz, and it then sets that on the device, which generally
has a lower limit of 4kHz. It doesn't error out here, so we're doomed to
playback too slow here. This one seems to be a combination of issues. I
fixed some (osssink-related, see gst-cvs at ...), but there's still a lot
of issues remaining here, it seems... :/. Not sure how much of a blocker
this is, but it'd be nice if others could help debugging this, could
confirm it, etc.

Less important:

3) faad negotiation is broken for a matroska file I have. Would be cool
if it could be fixed. Didn't test .m4a. 6-channel MPEG AAC files try to
play all 6 channels on osssink, which has nice ear-results. However,
somehow, capsnego succeeds. Don't know why. audioconvert doesn't help
(pretty obvious; capsnego succeeds, so audioconvert functions as a
passthrough). A problematic testfile is the starwars trailer from
http://samples.matroska.org/.

That's all I have. I can "sort of" play my movies (tested mpeg, avi,
matroska, quicktime) in totem right now (using the patch in #136197), I
guess that's quite acceptable for a 0.8.0 release. I've never had too
many issues with Rhythmbox.

If ALSA keeps on buggering, I might work on ALSA in gnome-volume-control
after 0.8.0, I'm willing to install ALSA for this one time. Seems like I
have little choice. Anyone else working on this (pretty please)?

Ronald
Linux Video/Multimedia developer