[gst-devel] gstreamer-properties

John Thacker thacker at math.cornell.edu
Sun Mar 7 14:51:03 CET 2004

On Sun, Mar 07, 2004 at 02:16:55PM -0800, David Schleef wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 08:57:07AM +1100, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> > I don't know if this is the right way to fix it, since it means that
> > applications have to assume that they need to put spider in front of
> > any bin that gst-gconf constructs for them in order to play audio.
>
> At the very least, they should put "audioconvert ! audioscale"
> before an output sink, since we have no control over the formats
> that an output sink may or may not handle.  esdsink is certainly
> not the only sink that has restrictive caps.

Are you suggesting that audioconvert ! audioscale be added before
the output sink in every application, including gstreamer-properties,
or that should be added to the GConf key
/system/gstreamer/0.7/default/audiosink (which gstreamer-properties sets)
so that gst-gconf constructs the pipeline with audioconvert ! audioscale
already added?

If the latter, then presumably it should be changed in
gst-plugins/gconf/gstreamer.schemas.in as well.  Or do I misunderstand?

John Thacker