[gst-devel] gstreamer-properties

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Mon Mar 8 12:45:14 CET 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 08:08:05PM +0100, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> What have apps always done ?
> Sinks used to handle a lot of converting themselves, so it used to
> work.

The only sink that ever did conversion was esdsink.  That was removed
because it was a bug.

> With our fixating/nego changes, as well as removing some of that
> code from sinks, they don't anymore.  The gconf keys are there to help
> the apps; if all apps need to put in audioconvert ! audioscale anyway,
> it makes more sense to put them in the keys instead.

Um, no, it doesn't make more sense.  You can just as easily turn it
around and say "if all sinks need audioconvert ! audioscale, it makes
more sense to put them in the application."

And, in reality, that statement is more true for audio sinks than for
applications.  Not _all_ apps need audioconvert and audioscale,
particularly those that use spider.

dave...