[gst-devel] current CVS

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Mar 10 08:27:16 CET 2004

Quoting Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org>:

> So,
>
> the final release candidate for 0.8.0 is out the door.  How do we treat
> CVS now ? Should it be considered frozen until 0.8.0 is out ? Should
> patches be sent to the list first ? What do you guys think ?

Keep CVS open. Announce the release is due so noone adds new features and only
fixes bugs. Branch for release if necessary. (Ensures easy followup releases
in case of brown paperbags)
Open up 0.8 after 0.8.0 or after 0.8.1 for adding features again. There's
laods of them missing.

> This week is the perfect time to make the source code indentation patch,
> so I'll look at that soon.

Woops, someone remind me to look at the output of that on my own code...

> Also, it's getting time to discuss how to proceed after the release of
> 0.8.0.  Anyone want to shoot first ?

stuff I definitely need to learn more about before the next release cycle
because they have requirements we need to get working in the next release:
- network plugins
- dvd playback
- midi
- subtitling

stuff I want to work on shorter term:
- bugfixing (I'm sure a lot of easily fixable bugs will show up)
- chunklib (trying to put the basis for ASF, AVI and QT in one lib - mainly
for new asf plugins)
- xine (when I have good enough demuxers, both qdmc and mms need that)
- DISCONT events (so people can finally release audiosinks - a working audio
server is preferred though)
- clocking
- gstreamer-autoplug

stuff I'm going to work on longer term:
- schedulers (writing yet another one probably)
- break-it plugins (so I can do good testing for broken media)
- replugging of playing pipelines (most likely starting by making gst-gconf
replace output sinks on the fly)
- gst_element_(un)block (making elements not block the whole pipeline so we
can put audio and video in the same thread)

All of this should require any API changes and should keep my busy enough for
a while.

Benjamin