[gst-devel] totem and osssink? (long)

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Mar 12 10:46:05 CET 2004

> I may be wrong, but it looks like that would break badly when using
> v4lsrc with TV tuner for example, or more generally any live data feed.

Not necessarily; it all depends on how you declare it should work and
how the concept of "ready buffer on the link" is used.  For example, in
the v4lsrc case, it would be simple to just make the v4lsrc element
continuously read and drop the buffer on the link in the PAUSED state.
It didn't really push it out yet, it just placed it on the link.

Same for live streaming from internet; what you want is that stuff
starts playing immediately when going back to playing from paused.  This
can be done if the streaming source buffers internally, and then does
the same thing as in the v4lsrc case.  Current apps doing stream
playback probably have to rebuffer completely to recover from
paused->playing; with this approach, since in paused they are still
processing incoming data, just not sending it on, it can keep the
prebuffer filled and respond to PLAYING immediately.

Thomas

You think I'm scared of girls well maybe
but I'm not afraid of you
You want to scare me then you'll
cling to me no matter what I do