[gst-devel] media-info, and old streaminfo tags

Mathrick mnews2 at wp.pl
Fri Mar 12 15:03:23 CET 2004

W liście z pią, 12-03-2004, godz. 15:20, Benjamin Otte pisze:
> Quoting Mathrick <mnews2 at wp.pl>:
>
> > I'm kinda restating the obvious, but sending silence is nothing more
> > than a crude hack, and no solution at all. Not only it's ugly, it also
> > is format specific (many formats treat "no signal" and "signal of level
> > 0" differently, and some, like subtitles, have no "0 level" at all) and
> > prevents us completely from authoring such formats (so bye bye DVD
> > creation, and subtitle (re/en)coding, and variable fps AVIs [1])
> >
> I'm kinda restating the obvious, too, but claiming you're sending audio and
> then not sending any is worse than a crude hack.

Ahh, probably forgot to include point in my previous post ;). Of course
I'm aware we cannot just stop sending data without warning, that would
break by design.

> Keep in mind that this was only related to the audio stream. It's especially
> bad because you don't even send an event - you just don't send anything at all
> so the audiosink keeps waiting for the next buffer.
> Subtitles and video don't work either if you just stop sending anything. You
> need to know when to display the next subtitle, so you need to either pull the
> next subtitle or at least get some sort of info that no more subtitles arrive
> for the next x seconds. Same for video.

Entirely true, my point was that we need solution designed, not hacked
around, as "sending silence" is extremely ugly and fragile at the same
time.

Maciej

--
"Tautologizm to coś tautologicznego"