[gst-devel] ALSA mixing

Ronald S. Bultje R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl
Sat Mar 13 12:53:03 CET 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 12:03, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> There is a deficiency in that alsamixer opens /dev/pcm* when all it really
> wants is access to the mixer in /dev/control*. This means that
> a) If rhythmbox (or anything else) is playing, then gnome-volume-control
> can't open the mixer.
> b) If gnome-volume-control is open I can't play in rhythmbox.
> This is going to cause strange bug reports, so I'll try and look at it
> before 0.8 goes out (ie, tonight or tomorrow)
>
> There is a similar problem in ossmixer too, I think, opening /dev/dsp?.

Ossmixer actually opens /dev/mixer in the device probe and if we're
solely a mixer. Slightly hackish, but it works. That bug was reported
and fixed a few months ago already.

I'm not familiar enough with ALSA to know how to fix it here,
unfortunately. Hope I pushed the topic a bit closer to fixage, though.
:).

Ronald