[gst-devel] amarok

Scott Wheeler wheeler at kde.org
Mon Mar 15 14:35:47 CET 2004

On Monday 15 March 2004 22:55, Christian Schaller wrote:
> So you have a 100% objective definition of 'best' lined up then? ;)

Clearly.  I expect you (and the rest of the Gst team) to arrive promptly at my
apartment, begin cleaning -- silently mind you, so as not to disturb my
hacking -- continue through the night and then get up and cook me breakfast.
This is to continue until the release of KDE 4.0.  The NMM team has a slight
advantage in that they're only about an hour away by train, so I'm willing to
award Gst a handicap.  You can have Tuesdays off.

Failing both teams to provide the above I suppose we'll have to settle on some
other reasonable set of criteria.  Some of the things that I've proposed on
the KDE lists in the recent past have been:

*) A framework that handles the basics of audio and video playback and codec
and hardware abstractions (other goodies like recording or effects are nice,
but not part of the bare minimum)

*) While this should go without saying, in the Unix MM world it doesn't.  It
has to work.  This doesn't mean that it should someday maybe work with enough
love and care -- like it has to actually do stuff before we start making it
an essential part of KDE.

*) Active development community without a singular point of failure

*) A desire from the development community for the framework to be used by KDE
and the thing that implies (working with KDE developers, ABI/API stability
throughout major KDE release cycles, etc.)

*) An API that's comfortable for KDE developers to work with -- ideally both
at a high ("just play something") and mid-level (working with audio or video
samples, but not touching hardware).

*) Did I mention breakfast?  I like pancakes. (+)

This has been hashed out at much greater length recently on the kde-multimedia
list, but the above are the basics of what we're looking for.  Given that
currently Gst and NMM are the two things that are somewhat interesting.
Fortunately the "[s]he who writes the code..." group for us is pretty small,
so hopefully it'll make it pretty easy to come to a concensus on this.
However we're still at the point of collecting information -- I would
guesstimate that we're about 6-9 months away from needing to make a decision
(since there will be a KDE 3.3 next rather than 4.0).

Cheers,

- -Scott

(+) Note that breakfast should not actually occur before noon.

- --
Many people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so.
- --Bertrand Russell