[gst-devel] Re: GStreamer not following GNOME release process

Murray Cumming murrayc at murrayc.com
Wed Mar 17 02:23:07 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 19:03, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 11:52, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 11:47, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> > > So, how can we sort this out for maximum benefit of everyone involved? :-)
> >
> > gstreamer doesn't have a maintainer at the moment,
>
> Before everyone gets their panties more in a knot than they already are,
> this statement needs amending.  It should read "GStreamer doesn't have
> one and only one maintainer."  Since quite a while now, GStreamer is
> maintained by a group of people sharing responsibilities, for the simple
> reason that with the two original maintainers on hiatus, there is no
> "natural" leader at the moment.
>
> Just so people stop thinking "nobody maintains GStreamer ?!?" :)

OK, then I have misunderstood, though I have talked to gstreamer people
about it. I am very much in favour of modules having multiple (ideally
2) maintainers. But there does not seem to be anyone with the authority
to say "Now we are feature/API/code frozen. No, you can't commit that
patch now", or "This is what I think we should be working on". A normal
GNOME maintainer can and does say those things.

But things seem to be moving in that direction, so I'm happy.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com
murrayc at murrayc.com