[gst-devel] gst-python docs

David I. Lehn dlehn at vt.edu
Thu Mar 18 09:42:04 CET 2004

* Thomas Vander Stichele <thomas at apestaart.org> [2004-03-18T11:49:56-0500]:
> The python binding docs are a bit different from the rest of our current
> setup.  Also, they didn't pass make distcheck at all, ever.

Sure they did.  After deciding to use this crazy autogen xml fu I spent
about 2 days making distcheck work right before I released 0.1.0.  It
was hard. ;)  I'm pretty sure that the makefile code you took out a few
months back was related to making the distcheck work.  Might want to
revive it.  It's complicated because of using external resources while
building outside of the source tree and needing to autogen a xmlcatalog
to make that all work.  Very messy.  The in-src-tree build doesn't
require any of that nonsense.

> David, what do you want to do with them ? Do you want to keep this setup
> for docs, fixing it properly somehow ? I have some ideas on how to do
> that, but I'm not sure if it's worth it given that we now have some sort
> of system set up for release notes and website stuff for all the other
> modules, and I see more value having them all uniform.
>
> What do you think ?

Other than the complexity and non-srcdir build horrors I think this
system is kind of cute. ;)  The theory was that I could just update a
file or two, adjust a xml pointer to the latest news node, run a make
target, and poof, out pop all the release docs and manuals and so on.
It worked for 0.1.0 just fine... I'm not sure why it would be broken
now.

I guess I wouldn't mind keeping the current system but I don't want to
rock the boat too much.

-dave-who-wonders-how-much-of-his-code-will-be-left-in-gst-python