[gst-devel] X dependencies

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Mar 19 07:25:27 CET 2004

Quoting Ronald Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>:

> We shouldn't create new interfaces or high-level classes for each new
> single property, signal or whatever. *That* is bloat.

Yes, we should - if that turns out to be the correct design.

The problem we are facing here is that we need something, that can not be
expressed nicely in one interface: A general embedding interface.
Let me give you an example. I've written a general XOverlay emebedding Gtk
widget. I'd like to adapt this widget to work on every system Gtk supports.
This means I need to write a backend for DirectFB and Windows, too. With the
current design - using a totally different interface for DirectFB - it means
that I can write a completely new widget from scratch. If we OTOH had a general
video embedding interface, I could write my widget for that interface and would
only need to embed the part that is different for each backend.