[gst-devel] Re: Distributed pipelines with gstreamer

Andreas Rottmann a.rottmann at gmx.at
Sat Mar 20 08:37:02 CET 2004

"Yogesh Kumar" <yog_ks at rediffmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Reading the gstreamer documentation I've not been able to answer to
> myself the following questions:
>
> Can gstreamer be used to build distributed multomedia applications?
>
> Are there ways to create a pipleine that spans across multiple
> machines?
>
> Is there any work in progress presently addressing the same?

Hmm, I always toyed with the idea of putting GStreamer-based services
(esp. Audio/Video compression) into DistWork[0]. This would then not
be a distributed multimedia application (at least not what I imagine
under that name), but rather a way to distribute CPU-hungry tasks over
multiple machines.

[0] http://www.nongnu.org/distwork/Home.html

Cheers, Andy
--