[Matroska-general] Re: [Matroska-devel] Re: [gst-devel] Gstreamerand matroska -theopensource answer to VideoforWindows/AVI and Quicktime/MOV ?

Jory jcsston at wiesneronline.net
Sun Mar 21 02:12:02 CET 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronald S. Bultje" <R.S.Bultje at students.uu.nl>
To: "Paul Bryson" <paul at msn.com>
Cc: <matroska-devel at lists.matroska.org>;
<gstreamer-devel at lists.sourceforge.net>;
<matroska-general at lists.matroska.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 20, 2004 1:38 PM
Subject: [Matroska-general] Re: [Matroska-devel] Re: [gst-devel]
Gstreamerand matroska -theopensource answer to VideoforWindows/AVI and
Quicktime/MOV ?

> On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 04:28, Paul Bryson wrote:
> > I would prefer most things over Ogg because at this point it only stores
Vorbis,
> > and soon officially Theora.  Perhaps Matroska and NUT would be evenly
preferred?
> > Although, I imagine that (like every other program) GStreamer would only
allow
> > selecting a single initial default.  But what would you pick?  If you
would
> > indeed prefer an open format, then Matroska seems the obvious choice
here.  It
> > will store anything, and is already in 'wide spread' use.
>
> We don't. We let the app decide, we let randomness decide, we let the
> alphabet decide, I don't know. We won't have any official "GStreamer
> file format" like Quicktime of VfW which is widely advertised on our
> website, in each of our apps, etc. If we ever set "ranking icons" for
> favoured or unfavoured formats, Matroska will get the same icon as other
> container formats that meet our requirements similarly well. Etc.
>
> Ogg is evenly preferred because it allows for storage of video and audio
> using open container, video and audio codec. That's good enough. Note
> that we don't have an Ogg muxer yet, though we're eagerly awaiting one.
>
> Nut is currently vapourware (or under development; whichever you
> prefer), see Michael's comments several months ago on ffmpeg-devel at .
> Besides, we don't have a Nut muxer.

Nut is actually much better than Ogg, almost to the level of Matroska.

For Nut you have specs, a few tools for creation and playback of Nut files,
mplayer, spyder's muxer code, and Gabest's DShow demuxer.

While for Ogg you have no specs and the vapourware, magical OggFile class
which will solve all Ogg's problems...

Jory