[gst-devel] DVD Events

Martin Soto soto at informatik.uni-kl.de
Mon Mar 22 15:06:09 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-22 at 23:34, David Schleef wrote:
> What will be the contents of these events?  And are they upstream
> or downstream?

They are all downstream events. Basically, they are used to send
information to the subpicture decoder that isn't part of any other
stream. For example, the color palette and the coordinates of the
highlight region used by DVD menus.

Right now, such events are only used by the dvdnav and DXR3 subpicture
decoder (dxr3spusink) elements. The upcoming software SPU decoder
(hopefully Jan has found some time to work on it) should understand the
same set of events, maybe with certain adjustments, since we still don't
know if the current events are really general/adequate enough. In any
case, I'll adapt dxr3spusink to work with whatever we decide at the end.

> (I realize we've discussed this before, I'm just being a blockhead,
> and also wondering what the final decision was.)

Actually, there wasn't a final decision. People made a number of
suggestions, but I couldn't find a better solution, really. Also, as far
as I know, Jan ended up also using events for his (now unfortunately
lost) code. He can probably tell us more about that.

M. S.
--
Martin Soto <soto at informatik.uni-kl.de>