[gst-devel] 0.6.x bugs

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Thu Mar 25 14:08:10 CET 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 12:05:58PM +0100, Johan Dahlin wrote:
> I recently checked out bug #135285 [1] in bugzilla.
>
> The bug reporter says that a specific mp3 file crashes Gstreamer 0.6.5,
> which is the latest version in debian. This appear to be fixed in 0.8.0.
> My first reaction was to close the bug as FIXED, since afterall 0.8.x is
> our latest stable version and the users should upgrade. However it's not
> very gentle and it might require some discussion here at the mailing
> list before making a decision on the subject.
>
> So, what do you guys think, should we close all bugs filed against old
> stable releases that are fixed in the current stable release?
> Or should we keep them along? If so, for how long?

I've handled about 25 bugs that were tagged 0.6.x or prior recently.
My strategy is this:

 - if the bug report is complete, like "this media file segfaults"
   and the media file is attached, and the problem can't be reproduced
   in 0.8.0, I close it.

 - if the relevant subsystem has undergone a lot of changes since 0.6,
   I mark it as "please try to reproduce this with 0.8.0", and mark
   it NEEDINFO.

 - if I can't think of any reason why the bug may have been fixed,
   I update the version to 0.8.0 and add a comment "I think this still
   applies, please verify", and leave the bug open.

dave...