[Fwd: Re: [gst-devel] Gstreamer design questions]

Andy Wingo wingo at pobox.com
Fri Mar 26 08:19:08 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 23:07, David Schleef wrote:
> > In the current system, GstData isn't very
> > extensible (you can't create "subclasses" of GstData outside the gst
> > source tree).
>
> It is possible, and actually quite easy to subclass GstData.  See
> gst-plugins/gst/debug/efence.c.

Ah, I see. I tried to do this by copying what gstbuffer does, which is
to use the private interface to gstdata. Because you have to chain up to
gstdata, perhaps we need to implement our own minimal object model on
top of GTypeClass (no signals, no properties, perhaps only shallow
inheritance). It would take some tests to see how efficient this would
be.

This is 0.9 material, of course.

Cheers,
--