[gst-devel] GStreamer in KDE

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Mar 31 14:06:03 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 00:00, Scott Wheeler wrote:

> Hi guys --
>
> There's been really a lot of talk lately about the future of GStreamer in KDE.
> It's been pretty clear that it's been gaining mindshare in both the KDE
> community at large and specifically with the multimedia developers.
>
> I'll be working next weekend to update the GStreamer bindings to 0.8, but I
> think this may not be necessary.
>
> I'd like to propose that GStreamer be ported from glib over to Qt / C++, but
> keep the name GStreamer.  I think this would provide a base that would
> appease both the GNOME and KDE communities -- by having the name GStreamer
> and a group of GNOME developers active in its development it would fit
> comfortably within the ranks of GNOME software, but by using Qt / C++ it
> would be able to take advantage of the advantages of C++ for object oriented
> development while working within a stable and comfortable object framework.
>
> Benjamin seems particularly enthusiastic and has already taken the initiative
> to start by working on kiosrc and seems to be very pleased with the ease of
> development in a Qt-based framework.  I've been helping out and I think
> within a few days we'll have a pretty good example of the direction that such
> a port would take us.
>
> Thoughts?

Rock ! I'm all for it, I've always wanted to code in C++ but after my
school project where I had to have people driven around by buses and
taxis and so on as an example of OO programming I never really did find
any project as good as that one to try my feeble skills on.

I'm sure that if GStreamer was C++ I'd be able to regain my enthusiasm
and apply my feeble skills to it in a random fashion !

I wish I had thought of this idea.  Scott, you rock !

A preliminary patch to convert to Qt is attached to this mail.  It
compiles and gst-launch fakesrc++ ! fakesink++ works.  I can't currently
play back video because I have to figure out the qt widgets library, but
I'm confident I can do that easily tomorrow morning...

Thomas

If you want love
we'll make it