[gst-devel] Re: Native Win32 build of GStreamer 0.8.1

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu May 6 05:04:06 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 22:32, ChristianHJW wrote:
> Steve Lhomme wrote:
> >> Have you already created some audio and video plugin to use it
> >> effectively on the win32 platform ?
> >
> > No, right now it's only "building". That means the software can be
> > compiled and only GStreamer so far. The next step will be to compile
> > some gst-plugins stuff. Both from command-line and VS.Net 2003. I really
> > doubt it will be possible to playback/capture in Windows with GStreamer
> > soon, conversion and misc processes that don't require hardware should
> > be possible... Also in CVS it is already possible to build GStreamer
> > using msys/mingw.
> > The changes were just fixing some compiler incompatibilities. Not much
> > code has been rewritten for the port.
>
> I am curious, as we dont hear from you guys. Any news about the patch ?
> Can you accept it as it is, or does it need some more changes ?

I see some discussion going in between robux and ds on IRC.  What's the
bug number so I can check ?

> Please note that the complete team is waiting for some 'sign of life'
> from you now, we wont progress on porting the plugins and making apps
> before the patch was accepted.

Well, to play devil's advocate, if the patch doesn't receive further
communication either way (ie, with no unresolved "problems" on our
side), *and* it doesn't mess up the unix-side of things, I'll commit it
:)

I'd prefer to get things moving on.

On the other hand, I see no reason at all on why you would want the
whole team to wait on a sign of life.  We both know that both teams want
this port to work well.  The *only* reasons for stalling the actual
merging of the patch are technical ones.

This should never cause you to block.  In fact, we also have (at our
company) a bunch of unmerged patches that are still being worked on
before being integrated back to GStreamer properly.  Working with open
source means htat sometimes you have to do just that.

In the worst case, we're assholes, we are jerking you around, and then
you can still fork and use your patches :) So I see no reasons for you
guys to wait on any of the other stuff you'll need to do in the end
anyway.

Just to put your worries at rest, we're great guys, we're not jerking
you around, and there's no need to fork.  Merging ideologies just takes
some time, and you shouldn't block on a technical level when there are
no technical blockers...

Thomas

We told 'em that didn't sound very Sunday-go-to-meetin'