[gst-devel] Re: Native Win32 build of GStreamer 0.8.1

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri May 7 07:53:00 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Marc VanDaele wrote:
> Given the posts below, I would expect this to be (almost?) possible.
> I'm working under Windows2000 and using MSVC C++ .Net.
> I would like to use this as a debugger but I have no problems in using
> eg cygwin to build the application.

The win32 work is ongoing. It's almost there, but not just yet.
Especially, we haven't had a win32/MSVC-compatible release yet. For now,
use Linux.

For the Matroska people: this is not a discouragement! This is rather just
the reality. In a month, I'm sure it'll work out of the box. Our latest
release just doesn't yet.

And if it works, please write some basic documentation to answer the
questions rasied here; I'm sure we'll get lots of those. We'll happily add
those to our FAQ on the website.

> However, since I have no Linux expertise, I have no clue to how to
> build such a gstreamer application.  Is somebody willing to help me out?

Install default Linux, e.g. Fedora. Install GStreamer from their
repository. And that's all.

> I do have some questions already though
> 1. why do you provide so many convenience functions in the interfaces?
> IMO, it clutters up the interface.  I'm always insisting on defining
> primitive interfaces (unless there is a performance issue) and I'm
> wondering what your rationale is for these convenience functions like
> - gst_element_factory_make
> - GST_CAPS_NEW
> - gst_element_link_many

Convenience, it makes you write applications in less lines of code.

Ronald