[gst-devel] addition of a buffer flag

Benjamin Otte in7y118 at public.uni-hamburg.de
Fri May 14 13:22:02 CEST 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> - the ogg muxer, like any other muxer, tell the streaming element how
> its buffers should be put on the wire.

Yes and no. Every element that produces a mime type that matches the mime
type of the streaming element must produce buffers correctly. So if the
streaming element takes application/ogg, typefind must produce the buffers
correctly. If it takes audio/x-vorbis, oggdemux must produce them
correctly.

> >  Just like all the other _containers_.
> > The difference between ogg and every other container is that header data for
> > ogg codec is part of the codec while for every other container it's part of the
> > container. So you obviously need knowledge about the codecs only if you use
> > ogg. Blame the container designers.
>
> I'm not sure I'm understanding what you're saying correctly. I assume
> that with "ogg codec" you mean "codec intended to be wrapped in ogg"
> (like theora and vorbis are).  But then I still can't parse the
> sentence, because the rest of it doesn't apply then.  What did you mean
> here ?

The difference between ogg and every other container is that header data for
codec wrapped in ogg is part of the codec while for every other container
it's part of the container. So you obviously need knowledge about the
codecs when you use ogg and only in that case. Blame the container
designers.

> I'm not sure how the additional level of indirection solves the same
> basic issue, namely "marking some buffers for retransmission to every
> new connection).

It solves the issue of making sure you don't get any wrong connections. If
you hope to just stream application/ogg you still need to fix typefind as
I said above.

Benjamin