[gst-devel] vorbis / theora caps

Ronald Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri May 14 14:24:09 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Benjamin Otte wrote:
> On Fri, 14 May 2004, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> > Well, for now, the only codec that would use it is ogg, so it seems sort
> > of overheady to me. You could just as well put the code in ogg(de)mux,
> > save up to two elements for a simple playback pipeline and thereby
> > decrease latency, no?
> Ogg does not know about caps. It uses typefinding. So it can't put its
> buffers into caps.

I know. But one element will have to know about the format. So why not add
this piece of code to oggdemux?

GstCaps *codec_caps;
const gchar *mime;

/* here, typefinding happens */
caps = ..;

#ifdef DIRTYHACK

/* our magic */
mime = gst_structure_get_name (gst_caps_get_structure (caps, 0));

if (!strcmp (mime, ..)) {
  ..
} else if .. {
} else {
  GST_DEBUG ("dunno what to do with this caps, might not work");
}

#endif /* DIRTYHACK */

Ronald