[gst-devel] addition of a buffer flag

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed May 19 02:37:04 CEST 2004

Hi Ronald,

My original statement was:
> Hi,
>
> can't the mux rsimply extract this data from the packets directly?

Not if the muxer is supposed to be codec-agnostic.

And you replied:

> On Wed, 12 May 2004, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > > That is an ideal situation that doesn't work for any of the modern
> > > formats (unfortunately). Matroska fails horribly here, as does Ogg. Nut,
> > > interestingly, is fairly codec agnostic, as are AVI and MPEG.
> > Ogg doesn't fail here at all.  Where does it fail ? Our implementation
> > of it fails.
>
> Separating actual data and headers.

So basically I said "ogg muxing doesn't need to know about the codecs";
You said "ogg fails horribly here", and you explained that as "separating actual
data and headers".  Read the thread again - what you think is a failure has
nothing to do with whether or not the muxer is codec-agnostic.

So, unless you can show me exactly where ogg isn't codec-agnostic (ie; it's the
*codec* that uses the container - ogg - and gives info to the container, and not
the other way around), I'll go on believing the xiph guys that wrote the container.

> Now that we're at it, note that you seem to take Ogg as a starting point,
> whereas I take AVI as a starting point. In AVI, there is *no way* that
> headers will end up in the stream, because it screws up seeking. In Ogg,
> it's all fine because of the finer model.

AVI is not streaming.  I don't see why AVI is important in a discussion
about *streaming*.

> Both are a way to solve the problem. None is invalid w.r.t the other.
> It's about preference. So let's continue with that as a starting point.
>
> Ogg fails to nicely prepare data for AVI. AVI fails to nicely prepare data
> for Ogg.

Not sure I follow.  Why would you want AVI to prepare data for Ogg ?

Anyway, I'll take up the exact problem up from the top in my next mail,
since on IRC you seemed to indicate that you at first didn't understand
my specific problem.

Thomas

Is there a voice unkind
in the back of your mind
saying "maybe you didn't know him at all"