[gst-devel] release

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu May 20 10:25:03 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 19:09, David Schleef wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 11:07:17AM +0200, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:
> > I don't really see what exactly you're concerned about.  Please tell me
> > what you think can go wrong.
>
> Um, say, _not compiling_?

I wouldn't expect a straw man's argument from you :) Have you *looked*
at the fix ? The bug was due to the macros from GStreamer that Ronald
told me to use, which were very obviously wrong.  Where they even used
anywhere else ? If I had stuck to my code it wouldn't have had this
problem.

Anyways, solaris is now, thanks to you, a build slave, so we can
actually be more confident that a release will be compilable.  It's not
like we haven't had releases before that didn't build on solaris, since
we couldn't test it on solaris.

> I'm happy this was fixed, but it seems like every time we add a large
> chunk of new code right before a release, something goes wrong.  You
> know this as well as I do, and compiling it on your own machine many
> times != compiling on many machines.

Yep, stuff can always go wrong.  However, it was checked on the
platforms we really care about, which is better than when we managed to
get in stuff that didn't even do that.  I hope that thanks to you we can
upgrade Solaris to being part of "platforms we really care about".

Also, this is exactly why I do prereleases in the first place - so
people can check this before the final release.  We haven't had to do
many brown paper bag releases yet :)

Thomas

Ik voel me zo door jou verlaten
als een zoebox zonder platen