[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] soto gstreamer: gstreamer/ gstreamer/gst/

Jan Schmidt thaytan at mad.scientist.com
Tue Nov 23 14:54:01 CET 2004

<quote who="Martin Soto">
> On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 02:03, Jan Schmidt wrote:
> > <quote who="Martin Soto">
> > > Log message:
> > > 2004-11-23  Martin Soto  <martinsoto at users.sourceforge.net>
> > > 	* gst/gstqueue.c (gst_queue_init, gst_queue_link_sink)
> > > 	(gst_queue_link_src): Allow for renegotiating the caps of the sink
> > > 	pad. The queue will now wait until it is empty and forward the new
> > > 	caps to the source.
> >
> > Can one of the other core guys comment on this?
>
> Just for the record: I asked for comments on this patch two weeks ago:
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5922077&forum_id=5947

Of course you did - I'd forgotten all about it already. Attention span
something something hey, what's that over there?

> Of course, I'd still appreciate the (hard)core guys to look into this
> issue if they haven't already.
>
> > It's a pretty big change to the behaviour of queue -
>
> No that much. Before, capsnego just failed if an attempt was done to
> renegotiate at a time where material was present in the queue. I don't
> think any existing application was relying on the queue failing in this
> particular case, because this behavior is just not very useful. Please
> correct me if I'm wrong, though.

True, but it also failed immediately, rather than hanging about. As you
point out, it also blocks when the queue fills up, but that's reasonably
well tested. As far as I know, this is the first case of caps negotiation
that can block though, unless the network elements do that too?

I'm happy with the patch - it's a nice step forward from the existing
behaviour, but I think we should all watch for problems that _might_ crop
up.

Thanks, Martin! I'm looking forward to hearing more about the other things
you're working on for a soft DVD player

J.
Jan Schmidt                                  thaytan at mad.scientist.com

Have you been half-asleep? Have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name...
 -Kermit the Frog (Rainbow Connection)