[gst-devel] Transcoding with gstreamer

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Nov 25 10:24:01 CET 2004

On Thursday 25 November 2004 13:56, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
[...]
> $ gst-launch-0.8 $muxer name=mux ! filesink location=$outfile { filesrc
> location=$infile ! $demuxer name=demux ! { queue ! $decoder !
> ffmpegcolorspace ! $encoder ! queue ! m. } { demux. ! { queue !
> $adecoder ! audioconvert ! $aencoder ! queue ! m. } }

Thanks.

Should that initial name=mux be name=m instead? But otherwise, that's scary,
but surprisingly straightforward. Since it doesn't need to run in real time,
do you still need the threads? Would it improve throughput to use bins
instead?

[...]
> muxers: asfmux (ASF), avimux (AVI), mplex (MPEG), matroskamux
> (Matroska), oggmux (Ogg)

I seem not to have mplex. I do have system_encode, but that only produces
MPEG1 streams.

[...]
> $ gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location=Neverending\ Story.xm ! mikmod ! tee
> name=t ! osssink { t. ! queue ! goom ! ffmpegcolorspace ! xvimagesink }

Yes, that works --- ta. It seems that pipelines didn't quite work the way I
thought they did.

However, the video output is very clunky. I tried fiddling with the framerate
(thanks to Jan Schmidt for suggesting that) but it didn't seem to help...
thinking that it might be due to goom, I tried using synaesthesia instead,
and discovered to my surprise that (a) it's still only getting five or six
frames a second and (b) the bottom fifth of the output window is full of
garbage. This can't be good.

Should I upgrade to the latest CVS?

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "There is // One art // No more // No less // To
+- www.cowlark.com --+