[gst-devel] Re: [gst-cvs] rbultje gst-plugins: gst-plugins/ gst-plugins/gst-libs/gst/riff/ gst-plugins/gst/avi/ gst-plugins/gst/qtdemux/

David Schleef ds at schleef.org
Sat Oct 2 14:16:36 CEST 2004

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 07:10:32AM -0700, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> * gst/qtdemux/qtdemux.c: (qtdemux_parse_trak):
> Time for hacks. Sorry Dave.

No big deal.  You may have noticed that qtdemux.c has degraded into
a huge pile of hacks.  Some day soon it needs another rewrite, and
it should probably be done by me, since I haven't really been
documenting all the weirdness I've seen.

One of the current problems is that qtdemux.c expects to know every
atom and complains if it doesn't recognize a particular atom.  Since
few are actually documented, and it seems like people are adding
atoms with random IDs, this model isn't going to get us very far.

Obviously, you've run into the other problem, which is that a
Quicktime file may contain multiple tracks, and qtdemux doesn't
try too hard to decide which ones are interesting.  Moreover it
doesn't attempt to extract any information (if it exists) from
the file to determine which tracks are "meta-data" tracks.

dave...