[gst-devel] gst-ffmpeg prereleases

Darren Blaser darrenb at extendedsystems.com
Tue Oct 5 08:43:31 CEST 2004

Thanks for the pre-release Ronald. I see definite improvements with it
in my testing here. Two of the three .roq formatted files available in
the mplayer samples directory now play very well. The jk02.roq file
still dies with an X error after about a second of audio is played. My
testing was with a the latest released binaries of gstreamer and plugins
on Fedora Core II.

Initially I downloaded and built the latest gstreamer pre-release and
the latest release source tarball of plugins thinking I would do all my
pre-release testing without touching my current working rpm based binary
install of gstreamer. Everything built fine and gst-register seemed to
work OK but the plugins test didn't work. I wasn't sure if this was due
to some newbie error I'd made or if it was because the latest gstreamer
prerelease was bad. So in order to get some testing in anyway after
running make install on the ffmpeg pre release I just copied the new
library from it's install location over top of my existing ffmpeg
library and then ran gst-register again. That seemed to work fine since
I could see obviously visible improvements with the new ffmpeg library.

I was thinking of pulling the actual commands I ran from my bash history
file and filing a decent bug report tonight on pre releases not working.
But I thought I'd ask a couple generic configuration questions first on
how running from pre release sources is supposed to work.
1) First the basic directory structure... I ended up with was
/home/username/source/ with three subdirectories which included source
for core, plugins and ffmpeg separately. That is as expected I assume
even though everything is nested down one more layer than it would be
for a normal build from cvs. This is the expected directory structure
for the source right? Or should everything be untarred to the same dir
so it mirrors a cvs build more closely?
2) When you run gst-register against the built source where does it put
the resulting config file? More specifically should it overwrite the one
used by the existing rpm installation or does it create a parallel
config somewhere?
3) I've heard a bit of general chatter about issues with the last core
pre release. Should I try the last released core tarball instead of the
latest pre release core before filing a bug report?

Best Regards,

Darren