[gst-devel] new plugin: fakefilter

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Mon Oct 18 22:47:01 CEST 2004

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 02:46, Jason Toffaletti wrote:
> I've created a new Gstreamer plugin that I call fakefilter. Right now it
> just passes all data through it unmodified, but it emits signals inside
> the chain and change state callbacks.

Isn't this the same thing that identity does?

> I tried a few different methods before arriving at this solution. At
> first I tried using tee's to split the pipeline and then connect a
> fakesink with a hand-off signal to access the data. This had problems
> because it would "see" seeking from demux plugins, making it difficult
> to use the data serially. I was able to successfully hack around this
> using buffer timestamps and/or positions, depending on the pipeline, but
> it didn't seem like a very clean solution. I briefly tried to implement
> a "static" GstElement inside my application and use g_object_new() to
> create it, but I'm using gst_parse_launch() to create my pipelines, so I
> needed a registered plugin and it doesn't look like there is anyway to
> register a GstElement without there being an actual plugin.

Actually, there are. All core elements (bin, thread, pipeline, queue)
are registered like this. Gst-rec also uses it for some internal
elements. It's not necessary to use this, but just FYI. ;).

> Does this sound like something Gstreamer is interested in?

I guess, but how does it differ from identity?

Ronald

--
Ronald S. Bultje <rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net>