[gst-devel] MIDI/OSC update

Leif Johnson leif at ambient.2y.net
Thu Sep 9 15:46:21 CEST 2004

Hi all -

I've just returned from a summer trip and was wondering about the status
of MIDI/OSC support ; I saw some emails briefly this summer but didn't
have time to respond to them. If anyone working on libraries or design
could ping back, I'd appreciate it.

FWIW, I started a MIDI support library this spring but only got it
partly finished before leaving on said trip ; my aim was to support
General MIDI with a library for reading and writing MIDI streams and
files. The library uses an object for converting raw MIDI data to and
from GstEvents (MIDI streams have a lot of state shortcut conventions,
so it seemed like some sort of state object would be useful) ; all the
MIDI parameters are stored as fields in the event's GstStructure.

I completed some basic functions for converting GstEvents to and from
binary data and also wrote a basic GstSequencer interface to implement
in MIDI sequencer elements (GstAlsaMidiSink, etc.). If this sounds
useful to anyone I'd be glad to continue working on it, or maybe we
could combine code somehow if someone else has a nice library going.

Cheers !

leif

--
Leif Morgan Johnson : http://ambient.2y.net/leif/