[gst-devel] a GstType for a musical note

Steve Baker steve at stevebaker.org
Mon Apr 18 13:55:12 CEST 2005

> Hi,
>
> can't the scale be part of the GValue ? The downside is that this means
> doing
> the table lookup everytime one wants to read from the value. And its needs
> convinience api. The advantage would be that apps would know that this is
> the
> property they should feed musical notes into.
>
> Heres a first link to infos about scales:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scale_%28music%29

Here is one for tunings which your api will need to be flexible enough to
implement:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_tuning

> I'll do some reasearch during the next days to find out about how other
> plugin-apis handle that.

You might find that many just assume Equal Temperament - I think we can do
better than that.

I guess this adds to my pet peeve of tracker type applications assuming
that all music has 4/4 time signature:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_signature
...and no swing:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swung_note)