[gst-devel] Thomas Vander Stichele's blog

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Wed Apr 20 12:08:25 CEST 2005

Hi,

> I just want to point out that I often have
> partially downloaded video files, and that in nearly all cases mplayer
> manages to play them. It even manages to seek in them, and to play files
> whose header is missing, guessing the filetype after eating several
> megabytes of zeroes.

a bunch of formats have their index table at the end.  if you use any of
the warez clients you have an option to make sure the end of the file is
downloaded asap.  This is precisely why it's there.  So maybe you're
using one of these :)

In other cases, the player really does have to rebuild the index, and it
really is slow.  And until the index is rebuilt for the part you want to
seek to, it will probably not work.  I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm
saying it's not really something you want to have happen all the time.

Thomas

It was sex in a different life
Destroys my days and haunts my nights