[gst-devel] recording & watching tv

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Thu Aug 18 12:50:35 CEST 2005

Hi,

> gst-launch-0.8 v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! video/x-raw-yuv ! deinterlace !
> video/x-raw-yuv, format:fourcc=YUY2 ! xvimagesink
>
> The image is OK. If I try to record it
>
> gst-launch-0.8 v4l2src device=/dev/video1 ! video/x-raw-yuv ! deinterlace !
> video/x-raw-yuv, format:fourcc=YUY2 ! filesink location=test.raw
>
> and watch it back
>
> gst-launch-0.8 filesrc location=test.raw  ! video/x-raw-yuv,
> format:fourcc=YUY2 ! xvimagesink
>
> I see only a green square.
>
> Does somebody have an idea of the problem ? I had supposed that the two
> methods should have produced the same result.

They won't - since your saving a raw yuv stream, there is no information
on how to separate video frames.  if you were to specify complete yuv
caps on the link when playing back, it would probably work.  Run
gst-launch with -v on the first line, take a note of the caps it
negotiated with, and use the exact same caps in pipe 2.

Thomas

I should dress you up in pearl
Finest silk to touch your skin
Don't know how to write a love song