[gst-devel] ffmpeg cvs integration in gst-ffmpeg?

Ronald S. Bultje rbultje at ronald.bitfreak.net
Fri Aug 26 15:21:43 CEST 2005

Hi Antoine,

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 16:26 -0400, Antoine Tremblay wrote:
>  I'm trying to fix a bug in gst-ffmpeg with h264 decoding but I'm
> having trouble synchronising my version of ffmpeg and gst-ffmpeg...

Cool!

> I would like to be able to integrate the ffmpeg latest cvs in
> gst-ffmpeg in order to debug properly , could someone describe to me
> how you integrate a release of ffmpeg in gst-ffmpeg ?

This is possible, but there's some issues, since our plugin may rely on
API that no longer exists in ffmpeg CVS. So we generally don't recommend
doing this. It's possible, however. If you have an external ffmpeg build
in /tmp/ffmpeg/, simply edit gst-ffmpeg/ext/ffmpeg/Makefile.am and
change the references to $(top_scrdir)/../libav*.la
to /tmp/ffmpeg/libav*/libav*.a. However, still, the above restriction
applies.

> I tryed multiple things already like copying the libav* dirs and
> keeping the Makefiles but I get undefined values when linking
> apiexample ,, anyway I was thinking maybe someone did it multiple
> times and that the experience would save me a lot of time...

Most likely the recent separation of libavutil into its own lib in
ffmpeg CVS... I haven't updated gst-ffmpeg for that yet, I do have a new
autotools patch ready (available on request).

> Or maybe if I could know the the exact version of ffmpeg used in a
> particular version of gst-ffmpeg , that would be very usefull too

This information is in the ChangeLog file in gst-ffmpeg CVS.

Cheers,
Ronald